Recovery from depression using guided self help: Workshop 2. RCGP accredited (3.5 CPD points). A follow up workshop to consolidate your use of the Positive Mental Training programme to help you distressed patients and increase your job satisfaction with this guided self-help audio programme. For those who have attended any of the previous workshops.
Positive Mental Training is an audio treatment programme for depression and stress used as guided self help in the NHS. Also useful for somatisation and sleep. A modular programme, evidence based,and often used by clinicians for themselves to increase their own wellbeing & resilience and reduce their stress. The programme incorporates the principles of CBT and includes mindfulness relaxation training. It is a skills based programme using many sports psychology techniques such as positive reappraisal and visualisation. more info here
This 2nd workhop focuses on your experiences of using guided self help and provides opportunities for reflection.
At the end of session 2 you will be able to:
- Evaluate the use of Positive Mental Training within your work
- Use brief techniques to demonstrate effects
- Assess the appropriateness of using the programme with your patient
- Monitor ongoing progress with your patients
- Apply the theory and practice to your own personal & professional life
- Have continuing unlimited free access to audio treatment app - Feeling good
Workshops are interactive:
- We work with peer group discussion to allow reflection of personal experiences to facilitate learning.
- Present theory of recovery as a way to focus attention on key learning points.
- Use video materials of patient distress & recovery to discuss.
- Applying learning to self & patients through skills based training from theory and practice.
The workshop is free to all Edinburgh CHP staff and South East GPRs. Otherwise £75/participant (£50/GPRs) +vat.
Comments from GPs ‘simple to understand and take on board’ ‘very high quality training’ ‘exceeded (my learning objectives and expectations) ..' nice to see ‘scientific’ background to this technique'
‘a completely novel and instant way of resolving a variety of stress related issues without drugs’, 'excellent enjoyable mix of theory and practice’
Venue : St Columba’s Hospice, 15 Boswall Road, Edinburgh EH5 3RW: - a beautiful tranquil training room with stunning views over the Firth of Forth
Workshop 1 - Friday 9th December: 1.00 - 4.30pm
Workshop 2 - Wednesday 8th February 1.00 - 4.30 pm
To attend please book by email: firstname.lastname@example.org