Representation, Support and Education
GROUPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- RCGP Scotland is of course the scottish branch of the College and champion of general practice in Scotland.
- The National Association of Sessional GPs represent sessional GPs including locum, freelance and salaried doctors
- The BMA produces a BMA Locum GP Handbook, a BMA Salaried GP's Handbook and have a load of other useful resources for sesional GPs.
- Each region has it's own system of CPD groups to support sessional GPs and First5® GPs - visit your local region for details and look at the PBSGL information below.
- The RCGP Rural Forum is the part of the College which represents Rural GPs.
Remote GPs are represented by the Remote Practitioner's Association Scotland
Dispensing Doctors are represented by the Dispensing Doctors Association
BASICS Scotland provide excellent education and training in pre-hospital emergency care.
DEEP END GPs
General Practitioners at the Deep End" work in 100 general practices serving the most socio-economically deprived populations in Scotland. Further information on the deep end website.
RCGP has developed a range of Resources for First5 Members, including:
- Essential Knowledge Updates
- First5® CPD Meeting Resources and a guide to working in small groups
- A Personal Education Planning tool
- Find a Mentor tool
- Discount subscriptions to InnovAiT and the BJGP for members
- And advice pack for new GPs
- You can also contact your local First5 lead in Scotland (see the list of First5 leads on the right side of the Contact Us page) or via the RCGP Faculty (details found on our region pages)
There are a number of sources of support for First5 GPs listed on the regional sections of this site.
BMA DOCTORS FOR DOCTORS
For help, counselling and personal support, Doctors for Doctors can give you access to peaking to a counsellor or a Doctor Advisor, including help with stress, bullying, GMC issues, relationship issues, alcohol, substance abuse, debt and depression. More information is available on the Doctors for Doctors Website
DOCTORS SUPPORT NETWORK
As they say on their website: As doctors we are used to supporting patients' health and well being, but we often neglect our own. Doctors have among the highest rate of mental health problems of any profession, but often feel isolated and unsupported. The Doctors' Support Network aims to provide support, reduce stigma, and campaign for better services for doctors with a range of mental health problems
ROYAL MEDICAL BENEVOLENT FUND
The RMBF's support includes bespoke financial support where there is a need due to illness, accident, bereavement or disability, specialist money and debt management advice , grants and loans to help with costs such as vehicle or home adaptations for those with disabilities and support for refugee doctors retraining in the UK. More information: http://www.rmbf.org/